Marriage License Bureau Mural
WEDDING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD™ SEEKS LOCAL ARTIST TO CREATE ICONIC WEDDING MURAL AT MARRIAGE LICENSE BUREAU
Applications Open Now Through Thursday, February 29, 2024
Selected Artist to Receive $5,000
The Wedding Capital of the World™ seeks a professional local artist to create an iconic wedding-themed mural outside of the entrance to the Marriage License Bureau in Downtown Las Vegas. The selected artist will design a digital piece that can be transferred onto a wall wrap. Approximately 40 feet wide by 14 feet high, the piece will be printed on vinyl and affixed to a brick wall at the Regional Justice Center building for one year or more.
The inaugural mural by local artist Jerry Misko at this location addition was used as a backdrop for thousands of couples who shared the news of their nuptials through social media and pictures. The Misko artwork was also included in press articles as well as a variety of promotional and marketing materials. The new art piece will be similarly used.
“We were thrilled with our first mural and loved all of the ways we were able to use it. Misko’s work will remain a part of The Wedding Capital of the World’s unique history. We are hoping to find another local artist who can capture the fun and glamour of Las Vegas weddings while putting their unique spin on our story. Over the life of the mural, the art and artist will be exposed to thousands of couples from around the world who will take this landmark image home with them as part of their Las Vegas love story,” said Lynn Marie Goya, Clark County Clerk.
The mural should tell the distinctive story of the Wedding Capital of the World™ where more than five million couples have married, including more than 400 notable celebrities. The mural should capture the historical mid-century modern style of this iconic community and celebrate the stress-free, fun, personal, breezy and cool wedding ethos that has signified the “Las Vegas wedding” since the 1950s when it became a worldwide brand.
With the Marriage License Bureau open 365 days a year from 8 a.m. to midnight, the mural will also serve as the ultimate backdrop for Instagrammable wedding and engagement photos.
The artist selected will receive $5,000 for the project under a work for hire commissioned arts agreement. Artwork will be owned by Clark County to be used for marketing purposes including national and international press, inhouse printing, graphics, and marketing materials. The mural may be used on promotional items including but not limited to t-shirts, luggage tags, clings, cups and other items, as appropriate.
Artists interested in collaborating with the Office of the Clark County Clerk to create the iconic wedding-themed mural are encouraged to submit their applications by emailing [email protected]. The deadline for submissions is Thursday, February, 29 2024 at 12 p.m. PST.
Read all Call information above & submit documents in the following order preferably in one PDF file:
- Cover Letter
- Completed Cover Sheet. Formatted as one PDF File.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume, up to two (2) pages. List any licenses, gallery, and public art experience, if applicable. Formatted as one PDF File.
- Letter of Intent
- Provide a Letter of Intent describing why you would like to take part in the project and in public art, what your connection is to the area, and if you are to be selected what theme would you embrace from the goals and how it will relate to mural design. Formatted as one PDF File.
- Provide a statement about community engagement. Include any relevant information about your art, education, background, and experience.
- Previous Works
- Artist must submit five at least Five (5) examples of previous relevant artworks. Artwork that contains offensive language, overtly political, religious and/or sexual content of imagery, including nudity, and copyright infringement shall not be considered. Each page must have numbers that corresponds with the annotated image list and feature a single work. Composites of various artworks in a single page will not be considered. Only include images that are relevant to this project. Do not submit drawings.
- Include an Annotated Image List. Each example listed shall include a thumbnail of the corresponding image:
- Title of Artwork
- Artist Names (if collaboration or different lead name)
- Date of Completion
- Medium / Materials
- Brief Description
- Format all pages as one (1) PDF File. Total of six (6) pages.
- Two references
- Provide two (2) references that can speak about your outdoor mural practice and experience. Formatted as one PDF File.
Only applications that have all requirements and have been submitted in one email with all attachments in the format of PDF including images of artwork will be accepted. Embedded files and links will not be accepted unless permission is granted by staff. Reach out to [email protected] before the deadline for help if you are having problems sending email.